Friday, April 11, 2014

2014 Dopey Challenge Day 3: Half Marathon Race Recap


If you haven't check out the previous 3 days you can click on the links here: Expo Recap, Family Fun Run 5k Recap, Inaugural 10k Recap

I started today off with the same routine as yesterday. I woke up to the Disney song of the week, got dressed, ate my pre-race breakfast and off me and my mom went. The only difference from my routine was  the items I packed for the race. Of course I had my camera and extra batteries as well as a couple of Gatorade energy blocks, because you sprinting from character to character can take a lot out of you.

As I was walking to my corral I wanted to review my goals for the race. No I wasn't looking to PR, but after reading and see other runners pictures and blog I've notice the lights on the castle were still on when they ran through. So there it is, My goal was to make it to the castle when the Christmas lights are still.


As they counted us down to the start I went over my plan to skip characters that I figure are going to be there tomorrow and just stop for the ones I have seen before. Also I was going to try to pick up my pace in between shooting video and character stops.

When the fireworks went off I tried my best to take off but like all rundisney races, there were just too many people. Even with me weaving in and out of people, it wasn't to long before we were entering into the magic kingdom.



Coming around the corner next to the Disney speedway there they were.....Darkwing Duck and Launchpad McQuack. Yes! It took me back to the days of watching Disney Afternoon after school, so you know I had to stop for this pic.


When I enter into main street the cheers from the crowd all make your want to run faster, but as I looked up to the castle I saw...The lights weren't on. i felt Like I was making a great pace and the it was still dark outside, so I'm not sure if the lights were ever on or I took to long to make it there, but either way there's always tomorrow.

After the disappointment of not seeing the lights on the castle I decided to slow my pace and take a picture with every character I saw for the rest of the race.

To Infinite and Beyond!!!

Queen of Hearts

Pooh Bear for the Hi-five

Knight Donald and Princess Daisy

Me and Tigger just Bounceing around

Lilo and Stitch

Golfer Goofy


 During the last couple of miles lead back to Epcot the is a big hill were Sarge from toy story was stationed to give the runners a little extra boost. As I was running past he was calling for push ups and with me only in the middle of running a Half Marathon on the tale of running a 10k, and 5k....Why Not? He was asking for ten, so I tried to throw in a handed push up for luck. Man!!! That was a bad idea, I was the hardest one handed push up I've ever done, but I did get this nice pic from it.



Once we enter Epcot the race few by, before I knew I could hear the choir singing and see the finish line. Across the finish line I was meet with my new Medal and Dopey band. Now with 3 races down and only one to go....(The Big One) I off to ice down my legs and try to get some rest before tomorrow but just like last year there an NFL playoff game on soooo well see how much sleep I get.

 .Check out my full video Race Recap below


No comments:

Post a Comment