Friday, April 11, 2014

2014 Dopey Challenge Day 4: Marathon Race Recap


If you haven't check out the previous 5 days you can click on the links here: Expo Recap, Family Fun Run 5k Recap, Inaugural 10k Recap, Half Marathon Recap.

Today is the day that when I finish this race I will have completed the Dopey Challenge and I will have all 6 Medals hanging around my neck. Needless to with the NFL Playoff game and the anticipation of the race I didn't sleep much last night. I continue on with the same routine from the previous day and woke up to the Disney song of the week, Got dress, and ate my Pre- race meal. But this meal didn't go down as well as the others, I still hungry after it. So, I down a bottle of water and hope that it would be enough until I pop a Gatorade energy block or a Gu Packet.

After going through bag check and walking to the corrals I reviewed my goal for the race just like yesterday. Well today's goals are simple:
1. make it to the Castle to see the lights.
2. Make it to Animal Kingdom when it opens to Ride Everest.
3. Make it across the finish line standing up.

As they counted my corral down I decided to use the same strategy as yesterday, to skip any characters that I've already taken pictures with. Plus I also decided to start at the back of my corral, to let the runner clear out a bit so weave through so many.



After another quick pace for a rundisney race look who made it to the castle with the Christmas lights on. One Goal down three more to go! 

 Today's Goals
1. make it to the Castle to see the lights.
2. Make it to Animal Kingdom when it opens to Ride Everest.
3. Make it across the finish line standing up.

Even thou I'm trying to complete my goals for the race I didn't want to forget to told what all rundisney races are made for, Having Fun!!! So after I made it to the castle I knew it was picture time.




 After leaving the Magic Kingdom we here to the Disney World Speedway. The Course this year is the same the 20th anniversary course last year so there weren't many new surprises, well no new surprises besides characters I haven't seen on the course before Like: Golfer Donald, Bolt and the Cast of The Festival of the Lion King.





Disney's Animal Kingdom  is actually my favorite park, I took the time to take as many pictures as I could. As I was in line for a picture with the Dog Pound (Above) I meet some fellow Dopey runners who also had the goal of riding Everest. We made a little small talk about how the race was going. Once it was time for there pictures we said other good bye and hoped to meet at the ride.









Even-thou Animal Kingdom is my favorite park I have never rode Everest. When can up to the ride....Guess who I ran into....The Dopey runners that I meet earlier on the course. We didn't just ride it once we double it up. We actually were going to try for one more time but with us having so much fun on the ride, we still had a half marathon to go and we didn't want the balloon ladies to catch us. So I can mark item number two off my list.

Check out the video of my every first Everest ride in the middle of a Marathon Above. 

 Today's Goals
1. make it to the Castle to see the lights.
2. Make it to Animal Kingdom when it opens to Ride Everest.
3. Make it across the finish line standing up.





After running through ESPN Wide World of Sports we have to make the long and hot  journey to Disney's Hollywood Studios. To me this definitely the hardest part of the course, the distance between parks and lack of Characters an entertainment really lets your mind wonder back to the pain your body is in. But, Once we enter in the park the pain subsides and you enjoy the atmosphere of Disney.


After Hollywood Studios we headed to the boardwalk that connects to Epcot and that I when you realize that with 22 or 23 down and just a 5k left...your almost home.



After the Boardwalk and right before Epcot look who I found giving all of the runners extra encouragement....DOPEY!!!! Since I choose to skip taking a picture with him during the 5k I was determined to wait in line for however long it would take to get one, and to my luck the line was really Short and I didn't have to wait to long. lol


I zoned out running through Epcot until I heard the singing of the choir and I new I was less then half a mile away from my neck full of BLING!!!


 Today's Goals
1. make it to the Castle to see the lights.
2. Make it to Animal Kingdom when it opens to Ride Everest.
3. Make it across the finish line standing up.


All three Goals meets with smile on my face and a Neck Full of Bling. Go ahead count them, that's 6 Medals in 4 days while running 4 races for a grand total of 48.6 Magical Miles. Yes I know Rundisney races are expensive compared to others but there is no place on earth were you can ride a roller coaster in the middle of a Marathon. Plus it DISNEY WORLD!!!!

Check out my full race recap video below














No comments:

Post a Comment